Although the Frozen buzz is finally starting to melt away, this Disney masterpiece will always warm my Frozen heart. Its uplifting soundtrack powered me through many a midnight study session, while its whimsical charm humored me through the beast that is finals season. In fact, we were studying with a few friends (with Frozen soundtrack on repeat) when we first heard word that tomorrow’s classes were canceled due to heavy snow. How did we celebrate Felicia and I’s first snow day ever? With a “thanks” to Elsa, we halted all studying and re-watched Frozen of course!
On our plane ride to Denver, Felicia and I were passing the time thinking up what we wanted to make next. We knew we wanted to do a series on bread and had an epiphany to make it Frozen themed! So each Friday we’ll be releasing a new recipe inspired by one of the characters. Here’s the first of six!
Anna’s Chocolate Ban-anna Bread
Makes 1 loaf
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole white wheat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a standard 4 ½” x 8 ½” loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (both flours, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, salt) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (bananas, yogurt, applesauce, eggs, vanilla).
- Mix the dry into the wet until just combined; fold in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour or until bread passes the toothpick test.
- Let bread rest for 10-15 minutes before lifting it out of the loaf pan by its parchment wings. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Okay, so maybe Anna didn’t say that line. But still, this banana bread is sure worth jumping out of bed for!
Anna: Chocolate Ban-anna Bread