Perfectly summarized by Disney’s official biography, Sven is Kristoff’s “loyal friend, sleigh-puller, and conscience.” All it takes are a few grunts, snorts, and all-telling facial expressions, and this adorably goofy and heart-tuggingly loyal reindeer has us won over. Just look at that face!
It’s quite clear from the movie that Sven is a mega carrot-muncher so this week’s bread recipe is full of the beta-carotene-rich ingredient.
The recipe also calls for the less common but so-called “super food” that is buckwheat. Despite its name, buckwheat is actually the seed of a rhubarb-related plant, not a type of wheat or grain; it’s also gluten-free and low on the glycemic scale. However, it’s intense, unfamiliar flavor is perhaps why buckwheat hasn’t quite taken off mainstream. Like mushrooms and raw tomatoes in my personal experience, I found the flavor of buckwheat to be one that took some getting used to. Yet as I’ve become better acquainted with the flavor, I’ve grown to appreciate its distinctive taste and the wholesome nutrition that accompanies it. I reckon Sven would be quite fond of it, too!
Sven’s Buckwheat Carrot toast
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup carrots (~2 medium-sized carrots)
- 1 ⅔ cups bread flour (up to ⅓ cup more)
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Allow to proof for 5 minutes.
- Mix in salt and oil. Add buckwheat flour, carrots, and bread flour mixing after each ingredient.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes until smooth (add up to ⅓ cup additional flour as needed). Cover and place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and re-knead it for a few minutes. Shape into loaf pan and allow to rise for 30 minutes more or until it has once again doubled in size.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool before toasting and spreading with cookie butter!
Sven: Buckwheat Carrot Toast Elsa: Iced Royal-tea Loaf Olaf: Steamed Buns (Mantou) Anna: Chocolate Ban-anna Bread